Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snap On (for girls)

The males in this household have a "thing" for tools. We (the females) decided to get a power tool of our own. A cricut! For those of you who aren't familiar with these amazing creatures, they do die-cutting of paper, fabric, and vinyl. You can make your own vinyl sayings for walls and endless other things. Actually, the boys are impressed with our new gadget and have requested different projects of their own.

I recently helped update the office of a bark business. This board is going to be on the front of their check-out counter and would've been impossible without the cricut. Milah is a bit bummed cuz I am getting payed in bark - not too thrilling for an 11 year old. She was hoping for some coinage I believe. I will frame it in black, and will take pictures of the completed office shortly.
FYI: I did not use the sticky-backed vinyl material as it would have been too expensive. I just used black paper, and then glued each letter on the fiber board with watered down tacky glue (yeah, this was the un-fun part). I am in the process of doing a few coats of Modge Podge so little fingers won't grab the letters as it will be right at "little people" level. I wanted it to be wacky wonky due to it's whimsical nature and I didn't want to have to line everything up perfectly as I certainly would've failed miserably at that task. I do wish it was more "right justified", but I like it.

6 comments:

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Looks like great fun! I can see an addiction in the works!
Mrs. Hearts

Didge said...

Now THAT is cool!

MSue and BMcD said...

I'm looking at the different crafting machines and am almost sure I'm going to go for the Sillouette. Any reason in particular why you went with the Cricut? Thanks!

CabinFever said...

The girls have a cricut at their school that they were familiar with so that's basically why we chose a Cricut. I read about "surecutsalot" software - any font on your computer can be used, thus eliminating the need to buy the cartridges. Don't know if that program works for the sillouette or not? Either way - they are awesome buggers.

Amy said...

Awesome! I've got the Silhouette and have lots to learn still with it. I just bought some fabric transfer paper so I can cut fabric with it...that is when I learn better how to use it! I think the Cricuit has online software you can purchase and download which is how the Silhouette works. Have fun!

Family Fun said...

So Jealous! I have friends here that have shown me projects they made with this machine. I would have loved this machine in Colorado when I was putting the sayings on the walls. I would have paid for the machine in 2 sayings!!