Saturday, June 2, 2012

I DO! Need more time before this wedding!

More wedding preparations . . . a window frame saved from the trash - now chalkboard. LOVE this saying. They have "chalk pens" that are easier to write with than a piece of chalk. I used a combination of both on this.
The centerpieces are going to be a mixture of wine bottles, mason jars, slabs of wood and tin cans. Multiple trips to the recycling depot yielded several wine bottles.
Getting the labels off can be a pain. Also my cutting method isn't 100% successful which means that I need to scrounge for more bottles.
1. Use a bottle cutter to score a line on the bottle. Simply roll it in the device, keeping it tight against the guard - it will not slice the bottle in half - it just makes a weak point. I did a little research before purchasing this one - it is an Ephrems - had decent reviews.
2. Pour boiling water over the etched line.
3. Immediately after, pour ice water over the line.
4. Repeat the process as needed.
5. As you hold the neck of the bottle, you may need to twist the base - it will "pop" right off, giving you a clean edge.
It feels like a 70's kind of project - next I'll be making macrame plant hangers and crocheting beer can hats.

1 comment:

Didge said...

If you are going to make macrame plant hangers, I had better get my order in as I am sure they will go fast! Love the candle wine bottles, they look so elegant and romantic.