Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Deere Kid

Hay season has arrived and Sten is working the "bugs" out of his new cutter. I ran for parts today and while I was waiting at the counter, I glanced behind me at a scene similar to the picture above.

Not long ago, a little towhead was beside me, tugging on my hand and begging, "Just one - please Mommy". Good thing I didn't succumb to his pleas more often as these "hay boy" trips to the John Deere store can get expensive!

When he was 1.5, he sat on Santa's lap and told him that he wanted a John Deere combine. Santa looked at me with a puzzled expression and asked, "Does he know what he's talking about"? Yep. When he was 2, we pulled the RV into a site at Lake Shasta and Sten immediately won the hearts of our neighbors - he peeked his head out the door and asked them - "Do you wanna see my John Deeres"? In the Sunday paper, the local John Deere dealer often has a full color insert. Sten would peruse that for hours - his favorite picture book - I finally started getting them laminated. Guess he was destined to be a hay boy.

My heart breaks for the Grotz family as they recently lost their son in a tragic farming accident. We think of them as "our kids", but they are only a gift. A most precious gift. See http://tylergrotz.blogspot.com for the memorial.

1 comment:

shirleyjean said...

Good blog and story. After you got the parts did Sten "Six it?"
Sten said that for "fix it" when he was a little kid. He could Six anything!