Saturday, November 17, 2012

Ding Dong Ditched!


Ok, so they have zilch nutricious value and supposedly can survive a decade due to their unhealthy chemical components, but our road trips will never be the same.  It is tradition.  Stop at the same store - grab a bag of donuts and a quart of milk a few miles from the house.

Frozen ding dongs in their little foil wrappers?  Hard to beat.  Hostess products were an iconic sack lunch snack in my grade school years. 

I ran to the corner store with anticipation today - expecting the Hostess section to be wiped out . . .  and it was . . . after I left.  We all took one last "drag" on their whipped fillings and chocolatey shells.  So long Twinkies - we'll see you in your "next" life.

3 comments:

John said...

I have a hierarchy of cascading food plan fails, starting with a tad too much butter on the 100% whole wheat fat free bread, but the real total fail, the crawling in the gutter food splurge has always involved some version of Hostess products.... Hostess fried pies, lemon or blackberry top of the list of my worst foods to eat, followed by white snowballs with coconut, but hey now will just eat carrots....

CabinFever said...

I bought scads of chocolate pies for Scott way back when. I cannot stomach coconut so have never been tempted by snowballs. Sten's fave are the cupcakes and I definitely have a weakness for ding dongs. All for the best I suppose - til they start making them south of the border - como se dice "twinkie" in espanol?

Amy said...

They bring back memories of home packed lunches for me too. Although it has been a long time since I've had a Ding Dong (my favorite) it still seems a little sad that they have met their end!