Thursday, March 3, 2011

No, I'm NOT Crying

Sniff sniff. We went to another sports awards banquet tonight, this time for swimming. I should know by now. I should take kleenex with me. I feel that durn lump in my throat and the tears spill out of my reddened eyes. I can't help it - when the coach gets choked up, I lose it. I know these kids - some of them I knew back when they still believed in the tooth fairy and they kissed their moms at the bus stop. Anyway, the kid that used to kiss me goodbye (sniff, sniff), won an award as underclassman outstanding swimmer. Sniff sniff. His coach laughed as he introduced Sten and mentioned that they had to work on his breathing a bit this season as they were nervous the kid was going to drown. However, comparing his times from the beginning of the season to the end of the season showed a huge improvement. Hip Hip Hooray Sten!

I find it disgusting to drive by the High School as the kids are let out - looks like a bunch of hoodlums and girls in ill fitting, revealing clothes (don't I sound like a crabby old woman?). Tonight tho, I felt excited for the future of each of those kids and I felt that their experience on that team will only aid them as they make their way in the world. If you've lost faith in this generation - stumble into an awards banquet - you will be moved. Oh, and don't forget your kleenex.

1 comment:

shirleyjean said...

CONGRATULATONS STENIE! Yep I would have been right along with you in the Kleenex dept. Lv Mom