Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Wallowa - you Must

Last week, we enjoyed (and I do mean ENJOYED) a business/pleasure trip to Eastern Oregon . . .

75 years ago, this was the rage in swimwear ... and probably worn by the ladies as they visited the pool in Cove, Oregon.



The pool and surroundings probably haven't changed much - but the swimwear sure has. The pool at Cove is worth the trip. Heated to 86 degrees, it is the perfect temp - especially on a scorching Eastern Oregon day. If you're looking for waves or 5 story slides, you won't find them. But if you want tranquil, simple, clean and relaxing - we give it 5 stars.



The kids enjoyed this "graduated" diving board. The black patch in the water is rocks where the hot springs bubble from the earth.



Burns - someone please restore this! Doug???




Baker City


There is something romantic about the country/ranching way of life. Many times I have fantasized about living on a remote ranch with my most beloved, a few thousand acres of crops or herds of dusty animals, and our suntanned, barefoot children in bleached overalls. Of course, in my fantasy - I am a natural beauty with slightly tousled hair at home on a tractor or at the stove whipping up a delicious meal. A trip to Wallowa County kicks up these thoughts once again- if you haven't been - you MUST put it on your "to do" list. Yep, it is out of the way, but you will enjoy every mile. I have to admit, my fantasy also includes a small plane that would whisk me away to civilization on a whim. Oh and I tend to forget the idea of getting up early, no eating out, worrying about the weather, and stocking up on groceries for weeks at a time.




This friendly fella at Wallowa Lake was tame - practically allowing people to hang from his antlers.



Stopped for a (small)cone at Little Bear



Sten and Scott were admiring the fields and bales of alfalfa as well as all the farm equipment. Maren piped up and asked "Dad, what's A falfa?" (insert hysterical laughter here)




ahhh, can't you feel the romance?

2 comments:

Kylee said...

I am so sad we missed you! I was at safeway! Next time call or text me! 541-621-0848

Didge said...

A trip down memory lane....what a beautiful part of the country.