Thursday, October 30, 2008

OK Class, Listen Up!

So, in my effort to be a cheerleader to my husband, I have enjoyed reading some "how to" management books lately. I have been working through the Dale Carnegie book, and picked up a new one at the thrifstore (yeah, my favorite department store) called, "FISH." It is the philosophy adopted by the Pikes Place Fish Market - and if you've ever been there, you'll definitely recall it as a unique experience. The FISH philosophy has 4 simple points: Choose your attitude, Play, Make their day, Be present.

From the armchair wear I sit, these books make perfect sense. Then Scott comes home with yet another scenario and I scratch my head trying to imagine how to implement them.

There was an illustration of "choosing your attitude" in another book (YIKES, too many at the same time) that I liked:

Once a farmer was out working in his fields when along down the road came a tired-looking man.
"where ya goin', stranger?" the farmer asked.
The man leaped back, startled, and with a trembling voice and bulging eyes replied, "T-T-To the next town. What are the people like in the next town?"
"What were they like in the last town?" the farmer asked."
"They were all mean and cruel, and I didn't like them at all," the stranger blurted.
The farmer sadly shook his head and looked down. "I'm afraid you'll find the people of the next town to be the same way."
A few days later, another man came down the same road.
"How ya doin', stranger?" the farmer asked, to which the stranger replied, "Very good, sir. Thank you for asking. Say, what do you know of the people in the next town?"
The farmer looked at him for a moment and asked wisely,
"What were they like in the last town you were in?"
"OH MY! They were friendly and kind to me, and I enjoyed them very much!" replied the stranger.
A smile came to the farmer's face and he said, "You'll find the people in the next town to be exactly the same way."

No comments: