Friday, September 3, 2010

Burlap Again?!


Mantel Scarf from Burlap. This is an easy one girls . . . grab some burlap the length of your mantel - pull strings on all sides to "fray" the edges. Iron a crease so it will "fall" over the edge. Use a stencil for the letters - spell your last name, season, address or . . .

I spotted similar table runners at a show earlier this sumer and I thought they were adorable.
Cut a piece of burlap the width and length you wish - I used the finished edge for one side and then hemmed the other side. At about 1 1/2 inches from each side, pull out 2 or 3 threads lenthwise down the entire piece (this is actually kinda fun).
Take an old damask tablecloth, preferrably with detail. I purchased mine for 2$ at a junk store (and I mean heavy on the junk - yes I did wash it (multiple times)), hem the edges and gather before attaching to the burlap.
Use a stencil to form the words (or not). The ones I saw did not have words and they were just as beautiful. Burlap is cheap and looks and feels Fall-ish. And it's always fun to hunt in a junk store - so go forth and find a cool tablecloth to cut up and attach!

No comments: