Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Child Abuse!

May we call this meeting to order . . .


We found it necessary to hold a "family meeting" the other night to redirect, reinforce, and (even) congratulate. Don't let these 2 smiling faces fool you. Each child reluctantly sat and all took turns groaning, snickering, and the girls each shed some tears. Sten yawned through the monologue and Maren hollered out from her shirt several times that, "she hates work."

We have determined that the girls need to help a bit more around the house. And there is no reason to have to remind these children to pick up after themselves, put their clothes away, and put their dishes in the dishwasher all the time. Do your kids ever put their dirty clothes back in their drawers or throw the freshly cleaned clothes in the clothes hamper (still folded)? Have you ever watched your child walk by the same stray shoe or sock belonging to them? (Please tell me that we are not alone) The only explanation for this behavior is "brain damage" as explained by Bill Cosby, and as he says, "our children are all struck with it."


The smallest resident felt the biggest pinch and was THRILLED to wash the toe kick area of the cupboards today. The word, "disgusting" was muttered a few times as she wrung out the rag.

5 comments:

Marla said...

Dont feel alone - I think "brain damage" is a universal children problem. Todays kids just dont like work - I think it gets worse with time. Good job on reinforcing good habits!!

shirleyjean said...

Somehow it all comes back to my sometimes mostly forgetful mind. Hmmm a family meeting huh! Good on yer. Love Ma & Pa

Didge said...

Oh my, too funny...could have been the faces on our kids several times this week...laughter and tears too. Ugh, the groans often are uttered by the parents. Our kids sometimes have to be reminded to dry off before putting on their pyjamas. Must be related somehow. I can't wait to see their spotless rooms...

Lianne and Todd said...

Okay...this is aparagraph I could have written...cracks me up...BUT I neeeeed your e-mail address to send you the invitation for the Fall Cabin Trip for Sten:) Later gater!! Happy whip-cracking!!

Twila said...

Yes.. brain damage works on older folks too.. My, my so many times when my parents were here, I muttered "brain damage"! ;-) Of course I don't have it!