Friday, November 11, 2011

Dollar Tree Makeover

I always enter the Dollar Tree with great expectation. I peruse the aisles, my index finger tapping the corner of my nose, wondering what $1.00 item I could transform with little effort and sell for 15 times the price (hey just being honest). 5 of these foamy pumpkins landed in my cart, but I didn't like the orange color nor did I like the line in the middle. Hmmmm . . .


For starters, I spraypainted them a creamy color - not enough - still had to get rid of that ugly line.


Enter some French typography . . . There's some benefit to having a sister that lives in the French speaking part of Switzerland. It gives you cheap digs when you travel to Europe and it sounds fairly impressive and sophisticated, don't you think? (I say with my head high in the air, and an obligatory nod in your direction - "Yes", a slight flick of my wrist to free the embers off my long cigarette - "She lives abroad"). Forgive me.


Back on topic - One of the best souvenirs was a bunch of used books with French writing. Very cool, oui?


I tore pages out of the French books and ripped them in small pieces to "Modge Podge" them onto the pumpkin. Have no idea what they say?! Elmers Glue (slightly watered down) works just as good as modge podge and is a fraction of the cost (especially when you find a supersize container at the Goodwill). It dries with a completely flat sheen which I prefer.


Wrapped twine around stem and frayed the ends - added some wire for more texture.


Discovered a slim candlestick and mounted the pumpkin - making it a pumpkin pedestal.

4 comments:

SunshineStateWilson4 said...

I love it!

Amy said...

This is great...and you crack me up! I need to find my creative juice again...it was sucked dry by ODOT then pregnancy!

CabinFever said...

I think you have another mission right now. There is something so special about that first baby - enjoy every minute. In a blink, he will be throwing a tantrum in the grocery store, so ENJOY . . .

My creativity sometimes strikes in the middle of the night - hard to sleep when your mind is cranking with ideas.

Lenaya said...

Too cute!