Friday, December 16, 2011

Empty Nest

We are having a trial run on the empty nest as the kids left today for nearly 2 weeks. A few months ago, it sounded like an exciting proposition. But I cannot lie. As the time grew nearer, I grew more and more anxious. I don't consider myself insecurely attached to my kids nor are they to me, but I felt like a big part of my heart would be ripped away. My crazy mind leaped to the worst - what if something happened?

In 1995, we became parents.

Since that time, we have enjoyed "breaks" from parenthood, but never for this amount of time and never all of them gone at once for an extended period. And, I have never been away from Maren for more than a few days - although I would've liked to farm her out for her entire 3rd year.

They should send those little buggers home with a warning tag. WARNING: this little person is gonna get under your skin, under your feet, all over your walls, and into your heart. You will never be the same and life as you know will be turned (blissfully) upside down. FOREVER.

I am looking forward to spending time with Scott, and I'm sure he is hoping that I will be more productive at work. Yesterday, I had to take both girls to the Dr as one had pink eye, and one an ear infection. Let's see . . . I am also looking forward to less laundry, no looks of disgust as dinner is served, and catching up with friends.

Guess the dog is gonna get some extra lov'n.

4 comments:

Melody said...

If you get even close to my neck of the wood during your two-week sabbatical, maybe we could sneak away for lunch or cup of coffee or something?

Amy said...

I think just having it quiet would make it lonely. Hope you have a good two weeks and can enjoy some time for yourself and your hubby! If you get lonely for babies come on over :)

CabinFever said...

I will definitely try to get to PDX - wanna go to Fabric Depot.

We should both come to babysit and let you have a date, Amy. Scott is the baby lover in our family.

Krista said...

Go see Cavalia in PDX! Awesome show...if you like that sort! :)