Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Creative Wanderings

A sunny day in Colorado is sort of ho-hum, but a sunny January day in Oregon is cause for celebration. Oh, except when it shines through the (dirty) windows. It almost feels like Spring today.

One of my favorite things in our house is a little shelf unit (only about 5 inches deep) at the end of the refrigerator that has plate racks for my do-dads and rods for kid's awards/artwork. I think perhaps this seasonally changing decor is a colossal waste of time, but . . .

In my perusal of other blogs, I have loved what some creative gals have done with burlap. I fashioned a burlap wreath last night - very simple. 4 inch strips of burlap strung on a wire coat hanger - I added a button garland on twine. One thing that's awesome about burlap is that it's inexpensive - only $2.99/yard.


What a great Holiday - an opportunity to tell the people you love that you love 'em. I wrote 10 traits that I love about each of our kids on the sheets of paper. Milah really liked it and Sten hasn't said anything (although I suspect it gave him a "warm fuzzy") I'm waiting for my paper in return . . . hmmm, still waiting . . .

More burlap . . .



This old enamelware sign hung at a Red and White grocery store and was saved from a trip to the landfill many years ago. It is sitting in the basement and I'm not sure where it's home will be, but I'm going to find just the right spot for it somewhere . . .


More burlap . . .
If you want your name on burlap - just let me know. It's very simple but it looks classy in a Pottery Barn/Ballard Design kind-of way.

I made these penants with (you guessed it) BURLAP and an accent fabric. I have started selling things at a store in town, so we'll see if they go. I loved the bird material - kind-of vintage/old lady-ish.


Another penant (with burlap) -

This is the headquarters of a crazy person. Creative minds feel most free while working in a bit of clutter.

5 comments:

Didge said...

ok, so now I know what you have been up to lately! Just need to make some doily (sp?) toilet paper cover things with a barbie (burlap of course, what else?) and we will know you have gone over the edge. It looks really good, esp the pennants. I'd like to see a close up of the lists...

shirleyjean said...

Ok now I also know why I haven't gotten her to even answer my text messages. She's been in never never land. Good on yer. Glad you have such talent, hmmm wonder where that came from?
Love you lots

CabinFever said...

The only thing bad about working with burlap is that it is itchy and has an odor. I smell like eu de burlap.

amydee said...

You have inspired me! Who knew burlap could be so cute! I love the way you decorate.

Sandra Ramey said...

Most of all i love your "end of the wall" area that you can decorate...it looks like in your kitchen? That is very clever.