Saturday, January 30, 2010

Trash to Treasures . . .

I used this frame/print in a bathroom for a few years and ripped it off the wall and thought to myself, "What were you thinking?" I love the width/design of the frame, so I've had it in a neatly stored pile (who am I kidding) because I thought I might use it again. So . . .

I painted the frame a cream color

Sanded to distress and stained with a darker color. Then rubbed bronze paint to desired patina. When I "rub" on a color, I usually put a dab, a dollop, or a streak of the paint and then take a slightly wet rag and rub the color around - this dilutes the strength of the color and makes it possible to get the color in all the grooves. Then you wipe off the excess, leaving the desired amount.

Finished Project - rubbed with a little green paint to add some depth. I found the print for .50 at another favorite store, Habitat for Humanity. You MUST find this store in your area and make it a regular. It's basically a thrift store for home improvement items and you will discover treasures for a bargain.


More Pennants - apparently they are selling at the store so the owner has requested that I make a few more.



I purchased this old window on Craigslist which required #1 Husband's help to get it home. I think I heard him muttering and sputtering as we were taking it to the truck. Several months later and multiple "gentle" reminders, it is now hanging on the wall and it is perfect.


I have been on a creative binge lately and found some old tarnished trays at the Goodwill that I mounted (with the assistance of Liquid Nails) to some formerly hideous candlesticks. I painted the candlesticks black and then rubbed bronze paint on them to add patina. I found some old sheet music at another thrift store and ripped it to make a garland - I have to admit that it made me cringe to destroy the music, but I love the garland as an accent - it also looks great shredded. The bell cloche (you'll have to ask Heidi how to pronounce it) is the rage and I found the glass part at the GW and then added the knob - once again using the black and bronze to make it look like it had a story to tell.


4 comments:

Didge said...

wow, you are amazing! Looks really cool. So what is the tag on the bottom? Is it for the store? Cloche (means bell in french, so a bell cloche is actually redundant and all I can say about the pronounciation is that the o is long like the o in groceries.) Right Julie?

Amy said...

Okay Lisa, I am going to stop lurking on your blog and start commenting. I love your creative ideas and these are no exception!

CabinFever said...

Well, we're even Amy - I check out yours too. I don't have the patience to work with paper like you do - I like to work with things that allow a big margin for error.

Amy said...

...and I have been way to busy working (what a waste of time!) to do any creating lately except in my mind :)