Friday, March 9, 2012

Sentimental Treasures

During this "transition" period, we are spending an exorbitant amount of time in our small home office.

Together

Sitting side by side

For hours

For days

Although small, it is perfect and I love the hand-me-down vintage treasures that we are surrounded by- especially their connection to the past. It's impossible to look at these things and not remember the loved ones they belonged to. To most people, they would mean nothing and have very little value - but they are special because we remember the hands that used them - they are big in our hearts.
We start by clocking in first thing in the morning (not really). This time clock was a bit of a splurge a few years back as a Father's Day present. I spied it at an antique mall and tried to shove it out of my mind. When I ventured back a few weeks later, it was still there - I could hear it calling me from the parking lot. It actually works and I love the authentic wear and greasiness from years of use.
Old ledgers and time books are way cool. The stapler was used by Scott's grandma and the asphalt calculator was my grandpa's.
A small collection of vintage toy typewriters - from great aunt, Ebay (Wow - she's your aunt too?)
Scott's grandpa's real estate sign.
From my grandparents - was at the bottom of their road. Big deal -it's just a wooden sign with letters routed on it. No, that combination of letters is meaningful. As a girl, I would have uncontrollable butterflies in my stomach when I saw this sign, because it meant that we would soon be at their doorstep.

I guess someday our grandchildren will be heaped with loads of stuff that they will likely take to the trash cuz it's just a bunch of junk to them. Charles and Vivian or Dick Schuller will have no meaning. Sad but true.

No comments: