Saturday, May 12, 2012

Real Kids


Yes - we grow real kids here too.  They aren't perfect (they get that from us).  They fight, they argue, they occasionally complain, they aren't perfectly coifed, they don't (all)get straight A's and they make poor decisions at times.   Real life folks - it's not a neatly posed picture in a perfect field of mustard.  It is tears and hugs mixed with joy and gutwrenching sorrow.  

I had a recent revelation.  It told me that I signed up for a lifetime of concern. Just because these tender creatures leave the nest, doesn't mean the mommy in me flutters away.  I get to be concerned for the REST OF MY LIFE.  At some point it will get more complicated, adding their spouses and their kids.  ACK - what were we thinking???!   

Happy Mother's Day to those of you that are walking this journey and to those that have survived! 

2 comments:

Melody said...

Well-written as usual, Lisa. You're "spot on" with this parenting journey and the revelation you had. I'd say I'm a couple years ahead of you down that road with my youngest off-spring soon to graduate high school & flee the nest. It is such a bittersweet feeling in this Mama's heart. So proud of my girl, her accomplishments and the young woman she has become...and yet, so sad to see her growing up, not needing me so much and me not getting to spend as much TIME with this creature I helped nurture. I may be calling you one day soon, in a puddle of tears, needed a Mama's shoulder to cry on. Just sayin'.

Melody said...

P.S. Happy Mother's Day to you also!!