Sunday, June 13, 2010

Vintage Books

I saw a group of books like this in a store and they caught my eye. DIY: find some old books, the rattier the better. Tear off the back and front covers, peeling all paper away from the spine (this is the fun part - but can be a bit messy). Display them vertically or horizontally. If the papers don't look "vintage" enough- spray with tea or coffee. Enjoy!

FYI: when looking for cheap decor - step into the dollar store for some surprising finds - I found the little bird print for 1$, and distressed it(of course), for a more unique look.

5 comments:

Amy said...

How fun! I love your ideas and how you tie them all together. You've got a great eye. I'm in the market for an old wooden door. Is there anywhere around here that has such things? Maybe I'll have to start hitting estate and barn sales on Saturday mornings.

CabinFever said...

Check out Habitat for Humanity in Albany - they have a ton of doors. If it's not the right color - you can always paint it. What do you plan to do with it?

Amy said...

That's a great idea. I'll have to check it out. We want to get a king sized bed and I can't find our current headboard in that size. I saw the idea to use an old door and thought that would be great. Put some crown molding around the top and attach some legs and wa-la there you have it...a headboard. I just can't see spending $500+ for a headboard, but then I don't want to have to get new nightstands either. My husband isn't overly crazy about the idea, but maybe by the time I find a door he'll come around ;) Thank you!

CabinFever said...

I love those headboards - I have a great pic of one with attached shelf for nightstands. I'll look for it and throw it on the blog - good luck! Sound adorable.

Amy said...

Door...check
Husband on board...check
trim & molding...check
paint...check
bed ordered...check

Just waiting for the bed to be delivered and then we can work on the exact measurements to get it done! Getting pretty excited and a big thank you for the tip about Habitat for Humanity...great place. Haven't been there since they moved from Tangent. Thanks again!